Plant Health and Pest Control
Pests and diseases can be a challenge to gardeners and the use of sprays is often unavoidable and it is essential for the health of the ecosystem that the correct and most appropriate sprays are used. Whenever possible use products "Certified Organic by Biogro".
HEALTH CARE PROGRAMMES
FRUITING PLANTS Health Care Programme
ROSE AND ORNAMENTALS Health Care Programme
VEGETABLE PLANTS Health Care Programme
SUSTAINABLE PEST AND DISEASE CONTROL
Tips for Minimising Pests and Diseases:
- Plants are more susceptible to pests and diseases if they are stressed, damaged or unhealthy, so it is important to take good care of your plants by giving them the conditions they need for healthy growth - the use of sprays can therefore be minimised.
- Grow your plants in healthy soil - make sure your plants get the nutrients and water they need.
- Choose disease-resistant plant varieties.
- Check all plants regularly for pests and disease - it's easier to deal with them early before they take hold and do too much damage.
- Hygiene is important in the garden so clear away diseased leaves and prunings and sterilise secateurs, hedge trimmers etc before and after use (bleach is a good sterilant).
Tips for Spraying:
- Always read the label carefully and follow the manufacturer's directions and precautions exactly!
- Check the label for withholding periods for each product and each different crop.
- Take safety precautions when handling sprays.
- Don't spray when pregnant.
- Wear a spraying mask.
- Spray in the early morning or late evening when the wind has dropped and there is no bee activity.
- A good quality pressure sprayer is important and will give good even coverage for best results.
- Direct the spray upwards to cover the underside of leaves.
- Use a separate sprayer for different spray types - even sprayers that have been cleaned can retain some residue.
- Wash hands thoroughly after using all sprays.
- Store all sprays in a locked cabinet or on a high shelf out of reach of children.
Please ask one of our friendly staff for advice.