Seed Sowing into Trays
Here at Décor Gardenworld we have an amazing array of seeds and seedlings to inspire you along with the helpful advice of the friendly Décor team – your garden will look great all year round. One of the most rewarding aspects of gardening is growing your own plants and watching your outdoor living space transform into something you and your family can be proud of.
Here are a few tips to make sure your seedlings grow into strong healthy plants for your garden.
Always use clean containers, and fresh seed sowing mix.
- Spread the mix evenly and firmly and level off.
- Carefully scatter the seed evenly on the surface of the mix and cover evenly to twice their own depth.
- Water using a fine spray.
- Cover with a sheet of clear glass.
- Once germination has occurred remove the glass and water lightly to keep moist.
- When seedlings have formed their first real leaves, transplant (pricking out) into seed trays or pots.
- Watch out for slugs and snails - we recommend that you try Quash for protection against these slimy pests. Quash is a great product if you have pets that are likely to gobble up the dead snails or the Quash pellets, this product is totally safe for pets. We also recommend Blitzem to control slugs and snails.
'ican' Vegetable Seeds
Exclusive to Decor Gardenworld is the 'ican' range - giving you good sized, advanced flowering seeds at a great price.
Modern varieties of vegetables are higher yielding, better tasting, more disease resistant and more uniform than older varieties.
Our garden experts have carried out extensive trials and sought advice from vegetable seed specialists in NZ and internationally, to find the very best varieties for the NZ home gardener. We have chosen 15 of the very best vegetables for you under the ‘ican’ brand.
The majority of these varieties are hybrids where there has been a focus on breeding for
- Superior Taste
- Improved Pest and Disease resistance
- Increased Vigour and Yield
In addition hybrids have the benefit of being consistent and reliable. A number of the varieties are also more compact, and faster maturing, which results in a larger range from less space, and the ability to produce more crops through the season. Many are ideal for raised planter beds and container gardening.
For the novice gardener or the experienced – ican seeds answer the question…
If in doubt or you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to call or email us for more information , or drop in and see our friendly helpful staff here at Décor Gardenworld in Bethlehem.